Remove this ad

bevomav

Hall of Famer

Lead

Mar 26 12 6:27 AM

Tags : :

Cool Tiger Woods is the Most Compelling Show in Sports

by Bevo Lewis
Tim Tebow was a diversion for a few months and is still compelling but imagine if he goes to NY and fails. In a short period of time he will be a blimp on the NFL radar. Then there is Jeremy Lin of the NY Knicks. For a few weeks he became Linsanity and the world was taken by storm. These two players had one thing in common and that is they had to win to be compelling.

That is what makes Tiger Woods so amazing. He jumped into the headlines and took the world by storm in 1997 when he destroyed the field at the Masters. That 1997 Masters had the highest rating since at least 1977. His 2001 Masters was the second. He attracts viewers and the casual fan unlike any athlete since Michael Jordan. Unlike most compelling stories and athletes who have to win to be the story, all Tiger has to do is show up.

When Tiger went down with a knee injury in 2008 he missed half the season and ratings fell by 47%. There was a recent poll asking what golfer they wanted to see on TV and Tiger won with 53%. New sensation Rory McIlroy got 15% and Phil Michelson got 7%. No other golfer got more than 2%. Like Jordan in the NBA, Tiger is the PGA.

He won Sunday for the first time in over 2 1/2 years and the ratings will be off the chart again. His fourth round 62 at the Honda Classis was watched by 78% more people than the previous year. Tiger doesn't have to win but if he is in contention people watch. 

You can make a case he is more a story now than he was before the injuries and his personal life failures. Now people who never liked him in the first place can openly show disdain and blame it on him being such a horrible person and husband. It's open season for ex-caddies and previous swing coaches. All this just adds to his drawing power. 

Woods has also driven the PGA in terms of money. When Tiger appeared on the scene the tour was $70 million in 1996. This season that will jump to over $300 million. He has been the highest paid athlete for 15 years and though his money dropped after sponsors left him during the scandal, they have come back and now Tiger's team turns away companies wanting to hook onto a star. 

In two weeks we get the Masters and you will hear buzz about Rory and Phil but only in the context that how wonderful it would be to see them in the final round with Tiger. Like Jordan before him, when Tiger decides to put his clubs away the PGA will suffer. For those who say someone else will emerge I ask this question. Who has emerged to be the next Michael Jordan?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

bevomav

Hall of Famer

#2 [url]

Mar 26 12 8:47 PM

No one..I am talking of popularity and impact not a good player..I know how you feel of Kobe but even given you thought that Kobe is better, he will never have the impact of Jordan..Lebron could have but he pissed everyone off by being a complete ass..

Quote    Reply   

varsity

General Manager

#3 [url]

Mar 27 12 7:42 PM

What impact are you talking about?  Magic & Bird reformed the league in the early '80s before Jordan showed up.  MJ certainly made it better that the greater impact already occurred.

And I don't see how Lebron could have made a similar impact.  The only thing he did was make Cleveland relevant for a few year and make most of the sports world hate the Miami Heat.  I guess that counts for something.

Quote    Reply   

bevomav

Hall of Famer

#4 [url]

Mar 27 12 8:34 PM

Look grasshopper, you are talking impact on a sport and I am talking impact on the world..Jordan impacted all sports and so does Tiger..

Get it now or do I have to draw you a picture.

Quote    Reply   

varsity

General Manager

#5 [url]

Mar 28 12 10:03 AM

Impact on the world?  You were talking about the impact to the PGA.  Last time I checked, that's a sport.

Your pictures aren't doing the trick.  You must've gotten a hold of a bad crayon.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

bevomav

Hall of Famer

#6 [url]

Mar 28 12 12:45 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tiger Woods most compelling show in sports<<<<<<<<<<<<<

People who don't go to a golf course watch Tiger or buy the video games..It was the top selling game of last year..How is that for an impact?

Quote    Reply   

varsity

General Manager

#7 [url]

Mar 28 12 6:24 PM

That's pretty good.  Are you trying to make a point?  Never in anything I said did I claim Tigers Woods doesn't make an impact.  Please don't have an imaginary argument.

I was simply refuting your comment - Like Jordan before him, when Tiger quits, the sport suffers.  The NBA is doing no such suffering.  There have been many stars that have made a big impact on the league.  To the degree of Jordan, no, but some real close.  Kobe is one of them.  People have chanted, "MVP, MVP" at the Boston Garden when Kobe is at the line.  Red Aurbach would turn over in his grave if he heard that.  When you can make thousands of fans in another teams stadium project so much admiration for a player, that is a pretty big impact.

Quote    Reply   

bevomav

Hall of Famer

#10 [url]

Mar 29 12 8:04 AM

I served you a softball on that one..I actually watched the game..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help